East Midlands Councils represents the interests of local councils to Government and national organisations. We enable local councils to work together on key issues of common concern and support local councils with advice and services on employment, training and development, housing, health, transport and planning.
In these challenging times Councils need to work together, East Midlands Councils provides the opportunity for this collaboration to take place. It is the consultative forum for local authorities in the East Midlands, providing a strong voice for the region. It gives support to councils to help them develop their workforce and leadership and improve their services
We are a not for profit organisation that exists to help organisations deliver better outcomes with and for local people. 43 of the regions local authorities are members of East Midlands Councils, for details of who these are visit here
The organisation is funded by a mixture of member subscriptions and income earned through not for profit consultancy services. Our governance is provided by an Executive Board of councillors from across the East Midlands.
Role and purpose
East Midlands Councils
is a consultative forum for local government in the East Midlands
represents the interest of local councils to national government and other organisations
enables local councils to work together on key issues of common concern
supports the improvement and development of local councils and their workforce
brings together political group leaders
makes appointments to national and regional bodies
provides a reporting and governance mechanism for regional local government partnerships e.g. East Midlands Strategic Migration Partnership
establishes and maintains an effective relationship with the national Local Government Association (LGA)
This forms the East Midlands Councils' Terms of Reference.
Who are our members?
For details of the local authority members of East Midlands Councils visit
What are the benefits of membership of EMC?
EMC provides a range of benefits to its member authorirties, which include;
- Leadership on behalf of councils in the East Midlands, working closely with national government, business, health and the third sector.
- An employers’ organisation for local authorities in the East Midlands.
- A forum to influence Government strategies and investment plans, for example proposals for High Speed Rail.
- Governance of the East Midlands Strategic Migration Partnership.
- A range of high quality services to Councils free or at not-for-profit rates.
For further details of the benefits of membership visit
To view our current business plan visit here
If you want to find out more about what we do and how we do it then read our Annual Report 2014-2015
The Corporate Documents pages provides links to our
- Business Plan
- Annual Report
How does East Midlands Councils work?
- We are a small but dedicated, skilled and experienced team.
- We focus on programmes and services that save councils money and build skills and capacity.
- Our services are driven by Councils’ requests and requirements.
- We work with other associations and national bodies to identify and share best practice.
- We have a proven track record in effective learning and development interventions delivering projects and funded activity.
Our customers and clients return to us again and again!
Chair and Vice Chair of East Midlands Councils
East Midlands Councils is chaired by Cllr Martin Hill OBE - Leader, Lincolnshire County Council
The Vice Chairs are Cllr Jon Collins - Leader, Nottingham City Council and
District Vice Chair - Cllr Neil Clarke MBE - Leader, Rushcliffe Borough Council.
As a result of the Elections in 2015, the Conservative Party is now the largest political group in the region.
Political structure - our boards
EMC has a range of Boards, for further information about these boards please see details below. For information about the Councillor representatives on East Midlands Councils visit
Regional Employers Board and the Regional Joint Council
East Midlands Strategic Migration Partnership Board
Improvement and Transformation Board