Chairing and Facilitation Skills for Councillors
EMC is running a half day Chairing and Facilitation Skills event for Councillors. The training is to be delivered by Nelson Training, an award winning drama based training company. Nelson training use a Unique interactive drama approach, using live interactive drama with a touch of comedy combined with individual and group activities. Don’t worry Nelson training provide the actors!
As a result of attending this course delegates will
- Have clarified the main purposes of meetings?
- What do we find irritating about meetings? What are the big turn-off's?
- What makes a `good` meeting, and what makes ` poor` one?
- What are the skills of a good chair?
- Why do meetings sometimes fail to meet their objectives?
- Understand the role of a chair?
- Have a planning and preparation checklist as a chair
- Learn the skills of a good chair
- Handling latecomers and people who ramble and attract attention to themselves
- Managing delegates who are negative and irritating
- Controlling the meeting. Keeping it friendly and focused and professional
- Handling disrupting members of the public
- Summarising and concluding the key points of the debate. (Making it easier for the minute taker!)
- Handling `meetings within meetings'
- Keeping the chair objective and a good facilitator of debate and discussion
- Conforming to protocol, policy and procedures
- Understand the purpose of facilitation and the role of the facilitator
- Understand when to use facilitation
- Learn and practice the basic tools and techniques of facilitation
- Flip Charts Round the Room
- Meetings and their objectives
- First sketch: the ineffective chair
- Planning and preparation checklist
- At the meeting – Chair skills
- Second sketch: the interruption
- Controlling the meeting: listening and summarising skills
- Case study for summarising skills
- Facilitation skills
- The role of the facilitator
- Facilitation technique
- Third sketch: how not to facilitate
Who will provide the training and how will it be delivered?
The training is to be delivered by Nelson Training, an experienced award winning drama based training company. Nelson training use a Unique interactive drama approach, using live interactive drama with a touch of comedy combined with individual and group activities. Don’t worry Nelson training provide the actors!
Who should attend?
Councillors who wish to learn skills to become a good Chair and to understand the role of the facilitator.
East Midlands Councils, Pera Business Park, Nottingham Road, Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, LE13 0PB
13:00 - 16:00
Local Authority Members £95 Associate Members £115 Non-members £150 (all prices subject to VAT)
If you woudl like to book a place please contact Lisa Bushell firstname.lastname@example.org 01664 502640, as there is now a waiting list to atten dthis event.
To book a place please complete the on-line booking form. The closing date for bookings is 17th August 2015. All bookings cancelled after this date will be charged at the full rate. Please see Terms and Conditions.
Upcoming Dates for this event
- 05/07/2017 - 05/07/2017
- 13:00 - 16:00
- Tue 20 Jun 2017
- East Midlands Councils, Pera Business Park, Nottingham Road, Leicestershire